Universe of Advanced Chemistry

August 11, 2018

Introduction to spectroscopy




Two times, I have proved my eyes really worth for me.
One day, Albert, my childhood friend told me pointing towards an object "see there is an aeroplane " instantly I found it, and said "yes, it is a spice jet air bus". Albert got amazed and asked "how do you know that?"
"it is my power of eye. I have better resolution than you" I answered with smile.
another day, in night , there was no light in the street, may be for  electrical problem. It was very dark. Albert, frightened suddenly! there are two green eyes from the pavements watching over us, but when I switched on my high power torch light, he was very shy, because there was a dog on the pavement walking across us. I said "it is labrador, albert" . "yeah, I knew you have better resolution!! hahah" albert replied. 
in first case, it was easy both for us to find the aeroplane because we were able to see it. but in the second case it was quite dark. so I was unable to see it. only when I used light , I succeeded. thus though I have resolution better than albert, it did not work untill we see the object. therefore for the second case , credit goes to the torch light as well, this is the secondary media I used to find a thing in dark.
Now, the same thing happens in  chemical world. The molecules, which are so tiny, that we can not see them even with powerful microscope. We need more powerful secondary media, that can hit them and gives us a result. then we after analysing with our theoretical knowledge could assume their structure.
As they are quite beyond our eye's range, we often use more than one secondary media to confirm their structure.
and this secondary media is nothing but electromagnetic radiation. and their study, is called Spectroscopy.

spectroscopy is the branch of science concerned with the investigation and measurement of spectra produced when matter interacts with or emits electromagnetic radiation.

(will be continued...)

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Trending

Hot Posts

Connect Us on Facebook

Have queries? write here

Name

Email *

Message *